Last year, my entire family got together and went to our family cabin for the holidays.
I had told my grandkids how I used to take their mommy and daddy to the mountains and we would spend the day sledding, or building snowmen.
We would come back to the cabin and make hot chocolate and s’mores in the fireplace. My kids decided they wanted to enjoy another Christmas like they had with their own children. I packed up enough belongings for a month and headed up to the cabin. I wanted it to be clean and tidy before the family had arrived. It was the first time I had been to the cabin in almost five years. The last time had been before my husband passed away. The same wood pile was still on the purchase, waiting to be used in the fireplace. I walked into the cabin and I was shocked at the mess I saw. I had to get the electricity turned on, the fireplace lit and get the water pump running so I could clean. The next day, my son came up to help. I had to sleep under five blankets, since I wasn’t able to get the furnace running. He helped me to get the electricity turned on, and we soon had hot water for cleaning. The fireplace was lit to put some added warmth in the cabin as he worked on the furnace. It took us nearly three days to get the place able to be used again. The bunk beds were repaired and there was room for everyone to sleep. Thanks to my son, the HVAC technician, the furnace was working, the air vents were critter free, and we had heat in every room.